Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Peerkangai/Ridgegourd/Beerakaya/Turai curry



I am reposting this recipe after seven years. I started my blogspot in 2009, when I knew very little about the technology. I used to post all the favourite recipes of my family. Each dish had some sweet memories to be shared. It was nice to recall the school/college days and the food we used to share among friends. I try to learn from them and prepare at home to impress my co-borns.One such dish is this. A simple and very easy to make curry, but has yummy taste. It was shared by my telugu speaking friend. An Andhra special dish. I prepared this today and clicked some pictures. There was no photo uploaded in my previous post as I did not learn how to do. Earlier I shared this in my blogspot , as we siblings were in different places and it was nice recollecting the childhood memories. Today I shared the picture with my friend who ate this at our place 40 years back.





INGREDIENTS:

Ridge gourd/peerkangai
500 gms
Cumin / jeera powder
2 tsp
Red chili powder
2 tsp
Salt
To taste

METHOD:
 Peel and cut the ridge gourd into cubes. Do not use if it is bitter after tasting a piece. Make powder of jeera and red chilli after slightly dry roasting them to get a smooth powder. Add salt to this and keep.Heat oil in a pan and add the ridgegourd pieces. Cook covered till done. Add the cumin,chili and
alt powder made, to the pan and mix well. Cook on low flame till the moisture is absorbed. Tastes very good with hot rice and even as side dish for roti.
 Note: Tender ridgegourd is preferred. The quantity when cooked reduces, as the vegetable tends to shrink. Since the gourd has a mild sweetness it is better to use less chili powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment